Two newbies for 2016, both from yesterday, 13th April:
Male Large White seen in his Wollaton Garden by Richard Smyth.
Male Orange-tip seen by Brian Parkes at Attenborough Nature Reserve.
Both are nearly a month later that the first sighting I have on record.
I would have expected to have received records by now for
Holly Blue [15/03/1998-23/10/2011]
Small Copper [16/03/1997-09/11/2006] (a possible was noted at Clumber Park last week)
‘Due’ soon are
Green Hairstreak [06/04/1997-22/06/2013]
Grizzled Skipper [23/04/2003-26/06/2005]
These species have observed during the last week or so:
Brimstone, Large White, Small White, Green-veined White, Orange-tip, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Comma, Speckled Wood.
My thanks to the following for recent records:
Antoni Lachetta, Bernard & Maureen Featherstone, Brian Johnson, Brian Parkes, Damian Taylor, Dave Griffin, Dave Morton, David Shaw, Graham Birkett, IADunn, Jack Dennison, Jane Howe, Jean Parrott, Jenny Craig, Jerry Clough, L Archibald, Lorna Griffiths, Paul Pearson, Pauline Bradford, Peter Acton, Richard Smyth, Rob Thatcher.
2016 species status to date:
10. Orange-tip [17/03/2011-28/08/1998] 13/4/16-
09. Large White [22/03/1998-02/11/2010] 13/4/16-
08. Speckled Wood [17/03/2011-05/11/2014] 30/3/16-
07. Green-veined White [17/03/2011-08/10/2008] 26/3/2016-
06. Small White [25/3/2016-31/10/2007] 25/3/16-
05. Comma [06/02/1998-24/11/2011] 20/3/2016-
04. Peacock [03/01/2013-29/12/2015] 10/2/16-
03. Brimstone [11/01/2005-27/12/2015] 7/2/16-
02. Red Admiral [25/01/2014-29/12/2011] 29/01/2016-
01. Small Tortoiseshell [12/01/2016-24/12/2001] 12/01/2016-
[ ] indicate first and last dates in Notts records dating back to 1995.
Some photos including an excellent image of Green-veined White by Mark Searle (see above) and an unusual sighting of a Peacock nectaring on Bluebell by Pauline Bradford.